Join us on Friday, May 20, for the annual Grosse Pointe Birding Challenge. Teams from each of the five Grosse Pointes will be spreading out across their communities to count as many bird species as possible. The team that gets the most points at the end of the competition wins!
The rules are pretty simple:
1. The competition starts at 5 a.m.
2. The Ford House is off limits -- too easy!
3. We're on the honor system. Claims of extremely rare birds will not only likely be challenged by the other competitors, you may be asked to provide proof.
4. The bonus bird this year is the Blackburnian Warbler.
5. Meet at Panera Bread in the Village in Grosse Pointe at noon sharp to tabulate. Each team will receive one point for every species they see. You will receive one extra point for any species you see that no other team sees. The bonus bird is worth five points.
6. Be on time for the tabulation. One point will be deducted for each minute you are late.
7. All decisions of the Commissioner of the Grosse Pointe Birding Challenge are final and are not reviewable by a court of law or by Congress.